For as long as I can remember I’ve been a bookworm. I love books. The feeling of losing yourself between chapters provides a form of daily escapism.
Sometimes I actually get book hangovers. A book has ended and I feel a bit miserable for a day or so as I wasn’t ready for the book to be finished.
I wanted more.
I was not ready to say goodbye to the characters.
The worst is when I think there is more to a book but the last few pages are an extract to the Author’s next book. Oh gosh – I’m not a happy bookworm in those cases.
I thought I’d list some bookworm confessions and encourage you to share some of yours too.
- I’m dreadful at lending out books. I get quite anxious giving out my precious books and often assume the worst (that I will never see them again)! It irritates me when you lend something out and then have to repeatedly ask for it back. This is stress I don’t need.
- I only joined Goodreads last year but better late than never.
- You do not want to go to the movies with me to see a book that has been made into a film. I sit and point out every single thing that makes the book different. I tut tut A LOT and then when the movie is finished I’ll roll my eyes and launch into a very long list of reasons why the book was better. Don’t invite me to movies that were once books. You have been warned.
- I’m a book hoarder of note. I don’t know how to part with my books. “I might read it again” is my mantra.
- I can never walk past a bookshop. Nope! Not possible.
- I love giving book gift vouchers as gifts but there is always that moment of “I wish I could keep this for myself” before I hand it over.
- This feeling is cured by a trip to a bookstore.
- I’ve never been in a bookclub. I’ve heard they are fun and keep meaning to look into it. Wine and books? Sign me up!
- Once I start a book, I have to finish it. It pains me because even if I’ve started a book that puts me to sleep I HAVE to struggle through it to the end.
- When I’ve read a book but see it with a different cover and title, it really gets to me! I got all excited for a book by an Author I adore and thought she had brought out a new one as I hadn’t seen the cover before. Realised it was the same book I had read a while ago but with a new cover. And changing the title? I sometimes see that when readers review books on Goodreads. Why does a book have two different titles?!
Your turn – what are your book loves and peeves?